Save the Date: Tomato Days
Tomato Days is a series of events during the month of September that celebrates tomato season and our community and educates the public about growing and eating healthy, organic, local food. It is also a great way for us to raise awareness and support for Wasatch Community Gardens' community programs. Tomato Days events include the Tomato Days Dine-Around, Tomato Sandwich Party, two tomato-themed contests, and Eat Local Week.
Tomato Days Dine-Around
September 1 - 30
Support Wasatch Community Gardens and local restaurants and growers by enjoying fresh, delicious heirloom tomato dishes. Each participating restaurant will donate a portion of the proceeds from their Tomato Days dish to Wasatch Community Gardens.
Tomato Sandwich Party
Enjoy an afternoon at the Grateful Tomato Garden with friends and neighbors and sample our amazing heirloom tomato harvest. We will be serving unique varieties of heirloom tomatoes grown in our Youth Gardens with pesto made from our homegrown basil and fresh locally made bread. There will also be live music and fun activities for kids, so bring the whole family to this FREE event. You'll be hard pressed to find a better tomato sandwich party in the city.
Tomato Haiku Contest
August 6 - September 6
Write a tomato themed haiku using the standard 5-7-5 style. Haikus can describe a tomato's color, taste, texture, experience (good or bad), recipe, etc. Dig in and use your imagination.
- Enter as many haikus as you are inspired to do so on our Facebook page, Twitter @outreachWCG, & Instagram @wasatchcommunitygarden using the hashtag #wasatchcommunitygardens.
- Each time you enter a haiku, you will be entered into an opportunity drawing with the chance to win wonderful tomato-themed prizes.
- Enter your haikus August 6 thru midnight September 5 or in person at the Tomato Sandwich Party.
- A drawing for all the prizes will be held at 1:00pm at the Tomato Sandwich Party. You will need to be present at that time to claim your prize.
Tomato Days Dine-Around Instagram Contest
September 1 - September 30
- Write a description of your photo with #wasatchcommunitygardens & # the name of the restaurant you visited, i.e., #wasatchcommunitygardens #caffeniche
- Each time you Instagram a photo, you will be entered into an opportunity drawing, and each week, we will pick a winner for wonderful prizes.
- Take as many photos as you are inspired to do so, but only one entry per person per visit will be entered into the opportunity drawing.
- Enter your photos September 1 thru midnight September 30. Weekly drawing deadlines will be Sundays at midnight. (Photos entered after that time will be considered in the next week’s drawing.) Weekly drawings will take place each Monday after the Sunday deadlines. A grand prize winner for all entries (even weekly winners) will be determined on October 6.
Eat Local Week
September 6 - 13
Take the Eat Local Week Challenge and stay up to date on all the exciting news and events, local eating resources, recipes, and more!
To get involved in the conversation find us on Facebook: Eat Local Week Utah or follow us on Instagram and Twitter: @eatlocalutah. And remember to hashtag #eatlocalutah on Instagram and Twitter!